Phyto-estrogens are vegetal-origin hormones related AS EFFECTS, not structure, to the ones our body makes. There’s a confusion being created – dramatically, purposefully and even ill-willed – between the natural hormone estrogen (made by our bodies in cortico-adrenal glands, ovaries and adipose tissue, on top of which we add more through pills and birth control) and plant hormone called Phyto-estrogen.
Effects of the natural hormone (estrogen)
- Is the most important agent that helps absorption of calcium in bones, alongside physical exercise
- Protects blood vessels from cholesterol deposits, triglycerides and other “blockage-makers”
- Fights menstrual pains and hot flashes during menopause
- Helps trigger and regularise the menstrual cycle
- Increases the size of breasts and hips. It stimulates receptors in the breast and the endometrium (in the uterus) to grow, and over-stimulation for years increases the risks of breast and uterine cancer, as well as prostate cancer
- Protects nerve cells from the devastating effects of stress, and opposes their apoptosis (cells around will borrow the functions of dead nerve cells until then; when there are no more nerve cells nearby – that’s forgetfulness)
- Increases renal elimination of uric acid
- Increases the protection of the liver and stimulates it to make strong anti-oxidants (Glutathione, Superoxide Dismutase and Catalase) which will protect the liver and the entire body!
- It does not allow thyroid cartilage to ossify (thus, women have higher ranges in their voices)
- Opposes the development of hair on the body and face
- Determines an increase in blood coagulation, with embolic risk (sudden blockage, usually by way of a clot of blood, in a blood or lymph vessel)
- Determines hydro-saline retention and the apparition of oedemas in the lower members
- In excess, produces impotence in men
The natural hormone has ALL the aforementioned effects, while Phyto-estrogen does NOT have the ones market in red, italic letters. Even in excess, Phyto-estrogen offers definite and certain protection against cancers of the breast, uterus, ovaries and prostate, and does not induce cancer. Taking in 100-150 grams twice a week may reduce the risk of cancer by 40% and for 3 times / week it may decrease the risk by 70%.
The Phyto-estrogen hormone does not affect the development of testes in boys, neither does it trigger secondary sexual characteristics, while in girls it does not feminise them prematurely, doesn’t lead to premature breast development nor the development of secondary sexual characteristics before the right time, in puberty.